Your home is an investment and in order to help secure that investment, you need to make sure all the finishes and surfaces are properly cleaned and well maintained regularly, including your Venetian plaster. Keeping your walls prim and proper doesn’t require a professional and doesn’t have to be a long, taxing process.
With just a few tips, you can easily be on your way to a shiny, spotless home:
Gather Your Cleaning Materials
Start by gathering the materials you’ll need to clean your Venetian plaster:
- Soft Washing Cloth
- Mild Soap
- Lukewarm Water
- Cleaning Wipes (non-bleaching)
Cleaning Your Venetian Plaster Walls
This centuries-old way of plastering walls is still a popular choice. The plaster is blended to mimic the look of Italian marble. Using Venetian plaster rather than paint or wallpaper adds a more intriguing and sophisticated look.
Still, to protect this lustrous look, you’ll need to learn how to maintain your surfaces regularly. Luckily, the preservation process is pretty simple, and minor stains can be easily eliminated.
To keep your surfaces looking spotless, follow the following steps:
- Wet half of the cleaning cloth with warm, soapy water and gently rub over any dirty patches and stains.
- Use the other dry half and wipe the surface clean after, or use a fresh cloth to wipe away the soapy residue.
- Get your bleach-free wipes and gently scrub the dirt away from stubborn stains.
- If soaking the stains for a minute or two doesn’t remove them, then you may need to get the Venetian plasters professionally cleaned.
Before attempting to clean your walls, it’s critical to determine if your walls were waxed. If you’re not sure, consult with the company that handled your fittings to ask. For surfaces that weren’t waxed, you might notice that your Venetian plaster walls will absorb moisture as you clean, making the cleaning process a little more difficult. The wax seals the surface so that there’s no excess water absorption.
While strong, the material needs gentle care when cleaning, and since stain removal is typically easy to perform, there’s no need to scrub very hard. Although water-resistant, it’s not recommended to leave moisture intentionally. Use a dry, non-abrasive cloth to dry the surface gently, with circular motions.
Here are a few things to consider in order to keep your Venetian plaster looking as shiny as possible:
- Use a white or light-colored cloth to avoid any possible color bleeds onto your surface
- Make sure to follow a circular motion when cleaning, careful not to apply too much pressure, keeping the surface as shiny and new as possible
- Avoid the use of any harsh materials, chemicals or cloths when cleaning, as they’ll permanently harm your surfaces
Venetian plaster walls are built and designed to last, and with a little effort in care during your regular cleaning, you can help preserve your elegant walls. To learn more, or if you’re ready to take advantage of the ease and elegance Venetian plaster walls deliver to any space, book your free consultation with Decorfin today.